This dip is a real crowd pleaser! All the flavors of Buffalo chicken wings, but without the mess. It's perfect for game day or movie night.
We make this dip with seasoned home-baked chicken breast, shredded using SideSwipe on a KitchenAid mixer. Using your mixer to shred meat saves a lot of effort and does a great job. To save time, you can use leftover rotisserie chicken or canned chicken if you have it on hand.
This recipe is designed to appeal to average American tastebuds. Feel free to increase the amount - up to double - of hot sauce. We use original Frank's Red Hot Sauce, but feel free to use your favorite. If you like spicy, we recommend you serve the dip with hot sauce on the side, which allows people to adjust to the spiciness they like.
This recipe makes enough dip to serve 12-ish people, assuming there are other snacks available. It's simple to make a half recipe if you've got a smaller crowd. (Our photos are of a half batch.) You can keep this warm in a crockpot or reheat as necessary in the microwave.
**Pardon the quality of our photos on this post. We pulled them from our quickie video, which you can watch on our social links.
INGREDIENTS and EQUIPMENT
- 16 ounces cream cheese (regular or reduced fat, but not fat-free)
- 4-8 ounces Frank's Red Hot Sauce original (you can use your favorite-we suggest you start with 4 ounces, taste, then adjust as needed)
- 3/4 to 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 cups shredded, cooked chicken (about 4 medium breasts)
- 1 package dry ranch dressing mix (about 30g or 3T of homemade)
- Optional: 1/2 to 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-quart baking dish
- Cook, cool and shred chicken into bitesize chunks.
- Heat oven to 350°F (175C)
- Place cream cheese, hot sauce, and ranch powder in a microwave safe bowl. Heat 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 minutes until the cream cheese is soft and melty on the edges. Using a whisk, mix until completely combined.
- Add chopped celery and shredded chicken. If you are adding a large quantity of shredded cheese, add that now. Mix to coat.
- Pour/scoop into a 2-quart baking dish and spread the dip to level. You can add a sprinkling of shredded cheese on top if you like.
- Bake for 30 minutes, uncovered, until the edges are bubbly and the center is hot.
- Serve on a trivet or heat-safe surface with tortilla chips, corn chips, toasted bread, and/or celery sticks.