- 12 ounces unsalted butter, softened to about 65°F/18°C (3 sticks; 340g)
- 12 ounces organic powdered sugar, preferably tapioca based, such as Wholesome; see note below (about 3 cups, spooned; 340g)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- scant 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt or 3/4 teaspoon (3g) Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- 3 ounces (85g) heavy cream, straight from the fridge
- Other extracts or gel-paste food coloring, such as Americolor or Wilton, to taste or
- Stand mixer, fitted with SideSwipe beater
Place the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer, then sift the powdered sugar on top.
Attach SideSwipe or a flat paddle attachment, and mix on low until the powdered sugar is fully incorporated. Don't turn on higher powers, or you'll cause a sugar cloud.
Add vanilla and salt, then increase speed to medium and beat until the frosting is airy and light, pausing along the way to scrape the beater (or bowl for flat paddle) as needed. This will take about 6 minutes, although the exact timing will vary depending on the power of your mixer. During this time, the mixture will have warmed to approximately 70°F (21°C).
Reduce your mixer to its lowest speed, then drizzle in the cream while the mixer is running.
When fully incorporated, scrape the beater and bowl if necessary, then continue beating a few seconds more on medium speed. Taste and adjust salt and vanilla as needed. You can also add whatever other extracts or gel colors are desired. Use immediately.